Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Wiring a cam 400ft from DVR
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
benH
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 21, 2015 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

Hello, I am incurring infrequent video loss from my 600tvl that i mounted approx 340ft away from the dvr.  I connected 3 pre-cut cables that are used for indoors, and thought this would work out.  It does but not 100% reliable.  1) so someone told me to buy and use a single run of the heavier RG59.  But i would have to provide power to the cam within 150 of it.  However, this is not possible because there is no power avail where it is located.  2) Then someone else told me to use Ethernet Cabling but has to be pure copper base and not that copper clad aluminum.  Yet, i read here and there that CCA type has been used but i dont hear if it works.  3) Then i found RG59 siamese cabling for cams that is also CCA.  But the initial suggestion i got was that the power would have to be nearer to the cam and not from the dvr.  The RG59 siamese cabling seems to be a contradiction to what was suggested to me, because it has wiring to send power through it from the dvr. 

As you guys can see, i am pretty confused with figuring out how to cost effectively power a little cam approx 350ft from my apartment unit to where my car is parked and vulnerable to vandalism. It works great with a couple of the cables connected together to make like 200ft line.  But with the third line, the cam has vertical wavy lines that run from the left to the right.  And sometimes the pic goes black for several hours.

thanks for any suggestions and or clarifications !! ben

Jose Malave
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
Forum Posts: 820
August 21, 2015 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

A simple solution is to use a higher amperage Power supply or simply run a 24V AC power supply and down step the voltage to 12VDC at the camera.

Siamese is RG59 and 18/2 for 18/2 knowing the gauge of the power wire we can determine the voltage drop.
Industry standard is no less than 10% of voltage drop allowed. For this we need to get some data and determine the answer. 

You have the camera at 340' and your source is about 10amp depending on the Distribution Box I can't see any orders under your email so this is my guess.

With this we have 340x2=680 this means we have 680' of paired wire. 680/100*1.27=8.63

Lets break this down 680' of paired wire divided by 100 (voltage drop per 100 feet is 1.27 Volts according to this chart) times 1.27 at 1amp using the 18AWG conductors and determined that at 340' we lost 8.63vdc this is 71% arrived at the location. Drop is 29%

This is more than 10%. 

ampchart.gifImage Enlarger

Jose Malave - IT Director| Toll Free: 866-573-8878 | E-mail: support@securitycameraking.com

Calculate your Hard Disk Drive HereCalculate your Lens Here |  Calculate your Voltage Drop Here

Video Vault (All Videos)         |  Security Camera Videos |     Smartphone Access Videos  

Check out the new Tech! HD-CVI       More.... 

Guests
August 21, 2015 - 6:03 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hello Ben, 

You have a fairly complex, but relatively easy problem to solve.  My suggestion would be to use BCC RG59 siamese cable in a single run to the camera.  Use a 24vac power supply at the DVR location and add a 24vac to 12vdc power convertor at the camera end to down convert to the cameras power. 

http://www.securitycameraking......-prd1.html

benH
Members
August 21, 2015 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

Jose Malave said
A simple solution is to use a higher amperage Power supply or simply run a 24V AC power supply and down step the voltage to 12VDC at the camera.

Siamese is RG59 and 18/2 for 18/2 knowing the gauge of the power wire we can determine the voltage drop.
Industry standard is no less than 10% of voltage drop allowed. For this we need to get some data and determine the answer. 

You have the camera at 340' and your source is about 10amp depending on the Distribution Box I can't see any orders under your email so this is my guess.

With this we have 340x2=680 this means we have 680' of paired wire. 680/100*1.27=8.63

Lets break this down 680' of paired wire divided by 100 (voltage drop per 100 feet is 1.27 Volts according to this chart) times 1.27 at 1amp using the 18AWG conductors and determined that at 340' we lost 8.63vdc this is 71% arrived at the location. Drop is 29%

This is more than 10%. 

ampchart.gifImage Enlarger

thanks for the explanation !!  In the beginning, i had wondered if getting more power to the cam was the solution but worried about burning up the cam.  However, the solution to that problem was simply downstepping at the cam.  You're a genius! 

benH
Members
August 21, 2015 - 6:57 pm
sp_ReportPost

Ryan Newkirk said
Hello Ben, 

You have a fairly complex, but relatively easy problem to solve.  My suggestion would be to use BCC RG59 siamese cable in a single run to the camera.  Use a 24vac power supply at the DVR location and add a 24vac to 12vdc power convertor at the camera end to down convert to the cameras power. 

Thanks for providing an ELEGANT solution !

Jose Malave
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
Forum Posts: 820
August 21, 2015 - 7:29 pm
sp_ReportPost

I am glad we could be of help. If you need these items feel free to give us a call. Although we are not open on Weekends we are here to assist you on any Questions and help you design your system. 
May you have a Wonderful Weekend ,I sure am going to enjoy it 😉

Jose Malave - IT Director| Toll Free: 866-573-8878 | E-mail: support@securitycameraking.com

Calculate your Hard Disk Drive HereCalculate your Lens Here |  Calculate your Voltage Drop Here

Video Vault (All Videos)         |  Security Camera Videos |     Smartphone Access Videos  

Check out the new Tech! HD-CVI       More.... 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 727
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 26
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Techpro Security: 404
shockwave199: 179
tubac: 167
Jer7of9: 155
Gilberto: 150
MrDeepFreeze: 136
Night Hawk: 100
Mark: 89
West Coast Jones: 66
ShawnInFL: 64
Newest Members:
chrisoco
Janelaw
Jampralk
CheRam
will
Toadaly
wella
FredMok
Shantibc97
RozCasty
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 28
Topics: 1496

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 141
Members: 22945
Moderators: 7
Admins: 5
Administrators: Damon Delcoro, Brad Besner, Jose Malave, Damon Delcoro, Tony Petruzzi
Moderators: Zeke Richey, Eric Wilson, Yarden Pinhasi, Joe Shopsin, jwilhelmi, Jorge Nava, Tyler Rittel