For many who own their own boats or yachts, their vessel is worth more than just a dollar sign. It is a precious memento of times shared together with loved ones. When the time comes to ensure your investment is secured, a surveillance system may be just the thing you are looking for to protect your asset. Regardless of whether you are making a trip around the globe or just dropping your anchor by the bay, an IP camera is imperative for the security and safety of your vessel.
Benefits in Purchasing Surveillance for Your Boat or Yacht
One of the biggest benefits in purchasing a surveillance system is the fact that you will be helping to prevent criminal activity. While your boat is sitting at the harbor, it is susceptible to trespassing, vandalism and general tampering by anyone who passes by the area. When you have a security system in place, you will help deter any criminal activity. If someone does mess with your vessel, you will have all the evidence you need on tape to ensure the perpetrator is brought to justice.
For many individuals, they don’t have the time or patience to spend hours installing a security camera on their vessel. When it comes to the technology in today’s society, you will be able to install your new system in no time at all. Thanks to PoE, you will be able to have all of your cameras running from one cable that works to transmit both data and power. Since the whole process is relatively simple and quick, you will have your security system ready to protect your vessel in a short amount of time.
If you are someone who is always on the go, you will be able to monitor your vessel from wherever you are around the globe. With remote monitoring, you will be able to look at your vessel and watch live feed with various options for playing back the data. The surveillance features in the NVR allows you to monitor your vessel remotely using the power of the Internet. As long as there is Internet access, you will be able to access all of your footage.
When you have a camera that is visible to the naked eye, it will help deter thieves from entering your yacht. Even though it cannot guarantee that the criminals will stay away, it will definitely help in making a few of those individuals think twice before entering your vessel. IP footage will help law enforcement officials prosecute and identify the criminals who violated your property, which ensures you will get the compensation you deserve for any vandalism or theft.
Countless insurance companies want to see proof that the crime actually occurred before they are willing to pay on a claim. For those who have a security system installed on their vessel, they will have the evidence needed at any time. If you fall victim to an act of vandalism, theft, accident, natural disaster or trespassing, you will be able to show the evidence to the law enforcement officials and insurance providers. Being able to show proof of your claim will help make the whole process smoother and more efficient.
When you have a security camera on your boat, you will have the peace of mind that accompanies it. Just knowing that your property is protected when you are not around is a great feeling. You won’t have to wonder what is going on at your yacht when you are out of town or away for an extended period of time. Since you can access your security footage remotely, you will always have access to everything that is going on around the area.
If you are someone who rents your vessel out on a regular basis, a security camera can ensure your guests are adhering to all of the rules and regulations you set in place for them. You will be able to protect your property from any potential damaging behavior. It will also help you determine who to go after in case there are any damages that occur on the property while it is being rented out to friends and strangers.
Even though cameras are a great asset for deterring theft, they can also be something that a hardened criminal will overlook and proceed onto the vessel anyway. For those who are familiar with the security cameras, they will simply dismantle them and interrupt your recording. In the end, you will be left with the mess to clean up and nothing to show as evidence to the appropriate authorities.
In the event of a power surge or blackout, your system could end up being damaged and the recording would be interrupted. You will want to ensure you have a power supply that will function continually, regardless of what the conditions are outside. A battery backup or other type of accessory can be the key to overcoming any potential loss of power in your unit.
Since there is no way to control the weather, you could end up with damage to your camera or recordings that are hard to identify. Wind, temperature changes and extreme rain can all make it difficult for the camera to detect what is going on in the area. The best thing you can do is position the camera in a location where it will be protected from the elements, while still allowing it to do its job and protect your vessel. Just because you can’t control the weather doesn’t mean you have to leave your vessel susceptible to criminals on the prowl.
Consider This in Your New Security System
- How many times per week are you checking on your vessel? Thieves tend to look for vessels that are rarely checked on, if ever. Many people tend to ignore the importance of making sure their vessel is secure on a regular basis. They tend to go where their boat is parked only when they plan to use it, but you really need to ensure the safety and security of your investment on a regular basis. If you cannot be there to check on your craft personally, you need to have a security system that you can access at any point in time.
- In the event of an emergency, you need to be able to get to your boat quickly. What would happen if you were not able to reach your vessel in an efficient manner? When you have a security camera in place, the length of time will not matter because you will have everything in place. You will also be able to call in local law enforcement officials who can get to the site in a timely fashion and handle the perpetrators when you are not able to be there yourself.
- When it comes to safety, what is your biggest fear? Do you worry about someone vandalizing, trespassing or stealing your vessel? If so, you will want to have the proper security measures in place to protect your asset and ensure no one is able to make off with something you have worked hard for over the years.
- Have you ever dealt with vandalism, trespassing or theft in the past? If you have already dealt with this issue before, you know what types of problems and hassles are waiting for you. Dealing with the local authorities, filling out countless insurance papers and cleaning up the mess left behind by someone else are all things that no one wants to deal with on a regular basis.
- Does the location where your boat or yacht is parked have a security system in place? Even if they have a surveillance camera monitoring the entrances and exits to the harbor, you will still want to ensure your specific vessel is being monitored. The best thing you can do is to have a security camera installed on your own boat to help ensure it is as safe and secure as possible.
- Do you have a large amount of valuables or expensive merchandise aboard your craft? For those who have a large amount of money or valuables aboard their vessel, thieves will prey upon your vessel over others in the area. They are looking for a quick score, so you will want to ensure you are doing everything in your power to protect your investment. If you do have valuables aboard your ship, you will want to refrain from letting everyone know about it and having them out in the open. Try to minimize the amount of information people will know about your ship and everything you have on board.
Setting the Camera System Up On Your Vessel
Properly position the cameras to ensure all of your valuables and expensive items are monitored around the clock. It won’t do you any good to have a security camera on your vessel if it is not monitoring everything that is of value to you. Ensuring the camera catches the criminal in the act is important to recovering your valuables and bringing the perpetrator to justice.
Position a camera at the entrances of your cockpit and various other areas around your vessel. When you have all of the entrances monitored, you will catch the criminal the moment they enter your ship. You will have accurate records of when the individual entered your property to turn over to local law enforcement officials. It will also help in the identification of the criminal who decided to come onto your property without your permission.
Make sure you choose a security camera that is made for use in outdoor settings. It needs to be able to withstand the elements and hold up in the event harsh weather conditions set into the area. If you don’t purchase the correct type of security camera, you will end up wasting your money and not having your vessel protected in the end.
In the event your recording fails, you will want to have a backup security system to help cover all of the bases. You don’t want to rely solely on one type of security camera to handle everything that comes along. If the criminal ends up disabling one of your cameras, you will have a secondary means for catching any criminal activity on tape. Regardless of what circumstances arise, you will be able to rest assured in the fact that any trespassing or vandalism will be recorded.
Consider installing your security system in a location that is undetected. If the perpetrator doesn’t know they are being recorded, there is less of a chance that they will be able to disable the recording device. Hiding the cameras in areas where intruders wouldn’t think to look is ideal in keeping your vessel secure.
Regardless of how large or small your vessel is, it is important that you protect your investment for quite some time. Don’t assume that everything will be safe and secure when you are away from the harbor. Take the time to protect your investment right from the very beginning with a surveillance system. Depending on your budget, you will be able to find a number of different options that are sure to meet your needs. You can browse through countless security systems and determine what one will work the best for your yacht or boat.
Choose from wireless, hidden, wired and more at prices that will fit into just about any budget. When you are unable to be near your property, you will want to have something working hard to protect your investment. Since there is no way to determine when and if you will become the victim of a burglary or vandalism, the best thing you can do is make sure you are ready for the unexpected events in life. Even though you may never have to use your cameras to substantiate a claim, the peace of mind that comes with having a security system in place are priceless.