Calculating Voltage Drops
Instructions on how to use this calculator:
- Use the drop down box to select your starting voltage. Pick whether your system runs on 12V or 24V.
- Select if you're running AC or DC power. More than likely you will be choosing 12V DC or 24V AC.
- Enter in the amount of current in amps. Please Note: 1 amp = 1000 mA. Ff your camera draws 500 mA, enter 0.5 in the text box for Current (Amps).
- Enter in how many feet of cable you will be using.
- Enter what size cable you are using. The standard for CCTV is usually 18 awg
- Click the 'Calculate' button. Click 'Cancel' to reset the form and start again.
Note: Industry standard is a voltage drop of no greater than 10%.