Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
PTZ-HN03100 stops showing image
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
chashock
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 30, 2013 - 10:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

I have a PTZ-HN03100 that had stopped displaying any image on it and instead was only showing it's settings on screen.  I reset the power to the camera and now I'm getting an image, but no PTZ controls seem to be getting to it.  I've checked the wiring, rebooted the DVR, and reset power a couple of times to the camera, letting it sit for several minutes.

Is there anything else to troubleshoot here or has my camera just failed?

Brad Besner
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
Forum Posts: 203
July 1, 2013 - 12:09 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hello,

We would definitely like to troubleshoot this for you. Can you call our tech support? 1-866-573-8878 option 3. Thank you!

Guests
July 1, 2013 - 4:43 pm
sp_ReportPost

When you power the camera off then back on does it move? It should go through a POST power on self test. 

chashock
Members
July 3, 2013 - 1:24 pm
sp_ReportPost

Sorry, guys, been travelling and haven't had a chance to look at this.

I won't be able to physically be at the camera for a day or so.  I'll have someone power cycle and find out if there is any movement when power is re-applied.

Any other suggestions I can try right away when I get back home?

Guests
July 3, 2013 - 1:40 pm
sp_ReportPost

Another step you can take is take the camera down and hook it up directly to dvr to see if you get video and can control the camera. Changing power supplies is a good idea too. If that does not work odds are the camera is non-functioning. 

chashock
Members
July 4, 2013 - 6:58 pm
sp_ReportPost

The camera doesn't cycle through any movement when power is cycled, and it doesn't zoom, although image is still being displayed.

This camera is less than 2 years old.  Is this normal for PTZ outdoor cameras to die this quickly?  It showed no signs of moisture getting into the enclosure that I could see, and while it gets hot here in KS, it hasn't been above what I understood the tolerance for the camera and housing to be.

Brad Besner
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
July 5, 2013 - 7:40 am
sp_ReportPost

Typically the camera should cycle hen powered on, however, there is a configuration on the OSD that can turn this feature off. The fact that you cannot control the camera indicates only a few possibilities. I would recommend you take the camera down and plug it in directly to the DVR with a new short cable to test. Make sure you use the correct settings for the baud rate, speed and the ID. If it still doesn't work then the problem is likely the PTZ itself. 

If the video is working but there is no movement, then it would mean the motor is out. It could have been caused by a power surge (like lightning) or it could have failed on its own. I have the same PTZ at my home that has been up for 4 years without issue, but that does not mean they cannot fail. Unfortunately the warranty is only for 1 year, but we can work with you to get you a replacement at a substantial discount. We have newer and better models available now. 

chashock
Members
July 5, 2013 - 8:07 am
sp_ReportPost

Thanks Brad, I tried that last night, and got the same results.  It sounds like the motor may have died.  Gear dies, I understand.  

I was looking at the PTZ-EL700L23X as a possible replacement, but I don't have power close to where this camera is mounted and all my cameras run off an 8 channel power distribution panel I bought with my DVR.  Since that is a 12V panel, I can't use that.  Do you have a recommendation as to how to wire that camera from the same remote location my panel is at?

Alternatively, do you have experience with the PTZ-LX700IR250L27X?  The reviews seem pretty good on this model, what are your thoughts?

This camera sits on the corner of my home overlooking a driveway with some night time lighting, but the improved IR and increased zoom were attractive to me on the LX700 especially.

Brad Besner
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
July 5, 2013 - 8:22 am
sp_ReportPost

The PTZ-EL700L23X is a very high quality PTZ, and it has built in surge protection which could help prevent the issue you have now if it was caused by a surge. Also, you should be able to unplug the power cable from your 12V power box and plug that cable into the provided 24V power supply that comes with the PTZ. If for some reason that won't work for you, then what is the video cable and control cable you are using for the existing PTZ that failed? There may be a way to use them for power, video and data. 

The LX Series IR PTZ is lacking some of the features that are in the EL PTZ, but only if you plan on making complex patterns and tours. Otherwise, the LX series is a great value. The Infrared will make a huge difference if you are having problems at night and the quality of the video is very good. It will provide better video quality than your existing PTZ. I don't think you will be able to power it off the same power box as your other cameras because it probably needs more amperage than your power box will put out on each channel individually. 

chashock
Members
July 5, 2013 - 10:19 am
sp_ReportPost

Brad, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

All my cameras are cabled with the siamese cable you guys sell, with 18/2 power leads and RG59 on one spool.  The power comes back to an 8 channel 4A power box (also purchased from you guys).  I have a CAT5e run that goes to the PTZ and into the 485A/B ports on the back of the DVR.  

I thought that the power panel was capable of outputting 4A per channel.  Am I misunderstanding that?  

Are you saying that I could take the power supply from the EL700 and essentially splice it to attach it with wire nuts to the existing power supply line?  I guess that makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying since those power cables are connected via screw terminals in the power box, not plugs.  If the box can't actually output enough power for the LX700, couldn't I do the same thing with its power supply?

I'd like to make a purchase quick, I just to make sure I don't get something that isn't going to work with my existing setup, as running new wires to this particular location isn't a real option.

Thanks again!

Brad Besner
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
July 5, 2013 - 12:29 pm
sp_ReportPost

Actually, the power distribution box is 4amp split into 8 channels. So each channel is regulated at 500ma. The 12V PTZ will need more than that. You actually did great setting up the PTZ like you did. You have several options. The simplest option regardless of the PTZ you select is to disconnect the power leads (the 18-2) from the power box that run to the PTZ. Then from the same 110V outlet the power box is plugged into, plug in the new PTZ power supply (regardless if it is 12V or 24V). Then connect the 18-2 from the PTZ to that new PTZ power supply. Other than that, you are good to go. 

chashock
Members
July 5, 2013 - 2:21 pm
sp_ReportPost

That's good to know!

To obtain any kind of discount you mentioned, should I call and reference this thread?

Brad Besner
Boca Raton, Florida
Admin
July 5, 2013 - 2:22 pm
sp_ReportPost

Yes, just give us a call. Also, we are having our July 4th sale which is a 10% savings right now. I can also authorize an additional 10% for this issue you had. The sales person can review this thread. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 727
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 12
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Techpro Security: 404
shockwave199: 179
tubac: 167
Jer7of9: 155
Gilberto: 150
MrDeepFreeze: 136
Night Hawk: 100
Mark: 89
West Coast Jones: 66
ShawnInFL: 64
Newest Members:
KnightGlobal
RobertSnany
ButUricy
chrisoco
Janelaw
Jampralk
CheRam
will
Toadaly
wella
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 28
Topics: 1496

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 141
Members: 22948
Moderators: 7
Admins: 5
Administrators: Damon Delcoro, Brad Besner, Jose Malave, Damon Delcoro, Tony Petruzzi
Moderators: Zeke Richey, Eric Wilson, Yarden Pinhasi, Joe Shopsin, jwilhelmi, Jorge Nava, Tyler Rittel