Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
HDD not recognized on DVR-LT16480MHD
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
oesgsteve
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 18, 2013 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

After 7 months, the installed Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (model ST2000DM001) stopped recording and the DVR (model DVR-LT16480MHD) set an alarm.  DVR was rebooted, didn't recognize the attached HDD, so reformat wasn't an available option.  Replaced the drive with two (2) identical Seagate 2TB drives and even replaced the data cable....DVR will not recognize the HDD.  Any options to get the system back up and running?

Techpro Security
Members
Forum Posts: 404
July 18, 2013 - 5:24 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hello, 

So you installed 2 Drives and the DVR is not seeing the drives? is the DVR saying "No Disk? Are the Hard Drive spinning? Are you using the same power supply that you were using before? Are you getting 12v at the power supply end?

bfaridnia
Members
Forum Posts: 11
August 14, 2013 - 7:15 pm
sp_ReportPost

I have a similar problem.

I have a elite mini hd 8 channel dvr with a HDD installed by security camera king (SCK) at purchase. The dvr is 2.5 yrs old. recently when the unit turned on the error came up that there was no hard drive available for recording. A quick check at the hard disk management window in the settings shows no disk detected. I changed the data cable and replaced the hard drive and received the same error. The drive is not spinning up. I am unable to change the power adapter cable as I do not have a extra one and the ones used for the other DVRs I have from SCK use a different connector on the mainboard.

All other functions of the DVR work normally. There are no other errors on the system.

Any troubleshooting steps to take? This unit is still under warranty so I may have to send it in. If so what is the process for that if I am unable to resolve locally.. thanks

Techpro Security
Members
Forum Posts: 404
August 14, 2013 - 7:56 pm
sp_ReportPost

I will say if the dvr's hard drive is not spinning and the dvr turns ON then there most be something going on with cable power cable.

bfaridnia
Members
August 14, 2013 - 8:12 pm
sp_ReportPost

Thanks. I suspected that however I dont know if the connector has much that can go wrong with it since only taking the power wires and distributing them.  I'll try to per the drive using a seperate power supply as well as check the female power terminals on the main board for successful +12v & +5v outputs

bfaridnia
Members
August 19, 2013 - 1:56 pm
sp_ReportPost

I tested the hard drive using a power cable connected to a separate computer and the data cable connected to the DVR and it spun up fine. I then tested the ouput of the HDD power on the Mainboard and found that the +5V rail was outputting +5V and the +12V rail was outputting +11.5V (see images). This drop in voltage is why the drive was unable to spin up. After troubleshooting with tech support from SCK, I tested the DVR using a different power supply that outputs 12V, 3A and the mainboard HDD power output read correctly at +12V and +5V. I then tried connecting the HDD to the mainboard and it spun up fine and was recognized.

TL:DR: Faulty Power Supply caused drop in HDD power voltage from mainboard. Replacing power supply brick resolved the issue.

photo-4.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-3.JPGImage Enlarger
dmu
Members
Forum Posts: 1
January 6, 2015 - 12:11 am
sp_ReportPost

Hi bro,

thank you for your post.

I think my case is the same power supply issue.

I will go and check after going home.

if it works you save me $$$$$ to buy new DVR.

thank's again

bfaridnia
Members
January 6, 2015 - 7:11 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hi bro,

thank you for your post.

I think my case is the same power supply issue.

I will go and check after going home.

if it works you save me $$$$$ to buy new DVR.

No problem. Make sure the check all aspects of the power supply chain. The output from the actual supply to the DVR, the DVR's output from the board to the HDD. 

I ended up purchasing one of these: SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply to help me test SATA power in the field as well as quickly access the DVR HDDs without having to remove from the chassis. 

Best of luck. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 727
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Techpro Security: 404
shockwave199: 179
tubac: 167
Jer7of9: 155
Gilberto: 150
MrDeepFreeze: 136
Night Hawk: 100
Mark: 89
West Coast Jones: 66
ShawnInFL: 64
Newest Members:
chrisoco
Janelaw
Jampralk
CheRam
will
Toadaly
wella
FredMok
Shantibc97
RozCasty
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 28
Topics: 1496

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 141
Members: 22945
Moderators: 7
Admins: 5
Administrators: Damon Delcoro, Brad Besner, Jose Malave, Damon Delcoro, Tony Petruzzi
Moderators: Zeke Richey, Eric Wilson, Yarden Pinhasi, Joe Shopsin, jwilhelmi, Jorge Nava, Tyler Rittel