Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
PTZ LX700L12X OSD menu gone
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
West Coast Jones
10 miles west of Forks, WA
Members
Forum Posts: 66
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 28, 2014 - 3:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

My new PTZ LX700L12X camera has been running under the PELCOD protocol for over a week with control of the Pan/Tilt/Zoom functions through the DVR onscreen menu with the arrows and 3 pages etc.

I was able to go in and out of the OSD through the Irus + button and setup a pattern/tour run.

I could find no information on what differences there are in its PELCOD & PELCOP protocols.

Since my Hybrid Fed 16 ch DVR manual states it supports both PELCOD & PELCOP protocol, I wanted to see what I can do with the PELCOP setting that might be different than the PELCOD it had been running under.

I entered the PTZ camera OSD using the Iris + from the DVR Main Menu/Settings/Pan/Tilt/Zoom menu and changed PELCOD to PELCOP, exited the OSD from its EXIT selection at the bottom of the menu, and then changed the PELCOD to be PELCOP in the  DVR Main Menu/Settings/Pan/Tilt/Zoom menu, clicked save.

When I went back to the DVR PTZ control menus, I no longer can control the camera using the arrow keys, and can not bring back the OSD using the Iris + button. The camera is locked in the last viewing position it was in while working in PELCOD, prior to resetting to PELCOP.

Restarting DVR by Main Menu/Restart System, nor cold boot did not help.

Powering off the PTZ did not help. During the camera power on/off restart the camera settings info showed all settings in the DVR Main Menu/Settings/Pan/Tilt/Zoom menu match to the camera information start up screen, & camera did the pan down and back to where it was set.

I thought maybe the address might have changed on me as it had previously when I was setting up presets and the Pattern function on the PTZ OSD menu. Don't know why it did that as I was only working in the OSD Pattern menu, not the camera protocol setting.

Like I said, the DVR PTZ menu settings & the camera start up message settings are the same.

How do I get back control of the camera?

Is there a way to have the camera go to its default settings somehow without being able to access its OSD through the Iris + button?

West Coast Jones
Members
June 28, 2014 - 11:47 pm
sp_ReportPost

Well it is over 20 hours since the camera crashed, and I have tried everything I can think of to get it back to working.

I did a check at the camera end of the RA-485 wires with a multimeter as someone used the DVR Pan/Tilt/Zoom arrow control, and it got a slight bump in voltage about the same as the reading right at the RA-485 jack at the back of the DVR, so wires seem OK.

Rechecked the PTZ settings on screen when powered camera off and on, to the settings on the Main Menu/Settings/Pan/Tilt/Zoom settings, both are the same, photos below. Arrows on menu highlight blue when selected and hour glass pops on, same when Iris + is clicked, or any of the other menu selections from any of the 3 pages in this menu. No response from camera. Camera remains locked at current view. Note the camera does it's standard pan/tilt/focus thing when power is turned off and on. But that is the only way to get any response from it (power off/on). And it did go to the black & white night setting when the sun set.

I figure the problem is in the camera not recognizing the DVR signals sent to it? But can't for the life of me figure why.

Any help and I'd be obliged.

P1000519-email-clip.jpgImage Enlarger

P1000521-email-clip.jpgImage Enlarger
P1000520-email.jpgImage Enlarger
Techpro Security
Members
Forum Posts: 404
June 29, 2014 - 10:06 am
sp_ReportPost

have you try to select any other protocol in the list from the DVR to see if the camera responds?

Guests
June 29, 2014 - 3:03 pm
sp_ReportPost

Try changing protocols in DVR see if there is any change like Jesus suggested. If not change back to protocol you set camera to then go into webservice and try to control camera. Do a reboot of DVR too. Ever since the factory took the dip switches out of the camera I do not know if there is a way to reset it with out control of the camera. I'll have to get back to you on that trick. 

West Coast Jones
Members
June 29, 2014 - 5:46 pm
sp_ReportPost

I tried General, & PELCOD, also tried all the Baud rates, Data bits, Stop bits, & Parity settings, and addresses from 1 to 10, & the 165 that the camera had somehow changed to on its own a week or so ago while I was setting up preset points & pattern.

Tried moving the camera to channel 5 and setting DVR PTZ settings there for channel 5, PELCOD & PELCOP.

Tried calling the preset 95 on the DVR menu, that the camera start up info gives as = Iris + to get into the OSD, & tried calling preset numbers that I found on a forum of SCK's that was for "Setting PTZ-650L3X and 700L12X Pattern", calling presets 242, 244, something between 224-239 for speed, 245, something between 224-239 for wait time, set in presets 1-3 for point shots, and finished with calling 243 & then 247. Nothing, so called preset 248 to stop the pattern even though it was not working, just in case it thought it was.

I am kind of hoping there is a preset call or something I can use to kick the cameras butt back in line.

I do not have the system set up to the internet as yet, still have some more things to get to hook to my LINKSYS model BEFSR41 EatherFast Cable/DSL Router

The router is going through a CenturyLink phone Co. provided WESTELL model (and here I have two numbers, the first is on the original one piece sticker on the back of the modem, the second is on a added smaller sticker pasted at the bottom of the larger original sticker & I think is most likely the current info) 1st model: E90-610014-06, Rev: C, 2nd on small sticker model: E99-610014-03 Rev:H.

When I get the DVR wired to the Router I will probably feel like I am pounding my head against a post again trying to get it to run, and I recon you will all be hearing from me again asking about how to make it work. Hopefully your on-line how to forum and video's will guide me through. They are pretty good, and I generally follow instruction fair to middling I recon.

I should have the wall plates and such coming in the next week, so should have the wiring in place by then.

Won't be able to begin trying your suggestion about going through the web till then Daniel.

I have tried booting the DVR going through the menu restart, shutdown, and also a cold boot just turning the power off waiting 5 minutes or so & turning the power back on. Also tried that combo with the camera powered on then back on after DVR start, and like I said, by powering camera on & off while DVR was still powered up.

Thing that throws me is the multimeter readings at the camera end of the RS485 wires showing a slight bump in voltage while having someone click the DVR arrow buttons with the mouse. Seems to indicate the DVR trying to talk to the camera, but the camera playing dumb?  The meter set to DCV 20 setting I am reading 1.32v doing nothing, and when I click the left or right, or the Iris + I read a change in volts of around no click = 0.29, click = 0.19 to 0.21, with 0.21 seeming to be the average at button any arrow or Iris click, if that tells you anything?

I also have a USB to RS485/422 FTDI adapter on the way, and have downloaded a 232 analyzer program from CommFront & a Windows USB-Drivers-FTDI chip.zip file, in hopes of maybe going around the DVR and straight to the camera through my computer?

The analyzer does have a PELCO-D & PELCO-P devices files that I also downloaded, and after getting them set up on the computer, the have a fairly simple looking menu that should run the camera if it works I hope.

Think I have any hopes in Hades with that idea?

I will continue trying using other DVR menu settings. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks

shockwave199
Members
Forum Posts: 179
June 30, 2014 - 12:24 am
sp_ReportPost

You have to find a way to reset the camera to default, and then set the Dvr channel to the same. I am really sorry to hear this happened. From one user to another and all ptz users- once you get your ptz working, don't fiddle with it. When it comes to these types of cameras, don't fix what ain't broke. Good luck getting it back. 

Techpro Security
Members
June 30, 2014 - 8:33 am
sp_ReportPost

Hi, 

@West Cost Jones, 

Please setup you DVR back the way it was on the camera. so if the camera was set to address 1, pelcod, BR 9600 then set your DVR that way and I will get back to you. I need to try something. I just don't want you to start changing some of the settings and then not knowing how they were before. 

I will post my results in a bit, 

Thanks

Techpro Security
Members
June 30, 2014 - 11:06 am
sp_ReportPost

Hi, 

please the following at your DVR. Go to the DVR and set it to pelcoP and address 0 if you had the camera set to address 1. Try to move the camera. If you can which you will( Tested already) then reset the camera back to defaults. What happen is that the camera when set to PelcoP the binary number for the address gets subtracted, so for a camera that is set to address 1 on pelcoP the address you will put in the DVR will be 0. If the camera is set to PelcoP address 2 then on the DVR will need to be address 1. This only happens with pelcop and not PelcoD. 

Thanks

West Coast Jones
Members
June 30, 2014 - 4:56 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hi Jesus,

I did what you said, but it did not work, in fact now it is even worse.

When I turned the power off and back on the camera did its pan down and showed the camera info message,  but the image is now completely out of focus.

The DVR menu is set to  the same as shown in photo 3 in my 6/28/14, 8:47 pm thread.

I am wondering if when I was trying the other protocols and preset calls if that may have something to do with this?

Do you have a list of the preset calls I could run in the DVR menu that will set the various functions back to default on the camera? Maybe we can get it to work trying that?

Thanks

PS: Shockwave199, the information that comes with the camera states it supports PELCOD & PELCOP, so why should someone not try to use either one and pick the one they like best?

Guests
June 30, 2014 - 5:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

Can we get remote access and try to work with camera? Maybe we can figure something out. As for which protocol is better or worse. I would say neither. Its just a communication protocol. It does not have different features per protocol if that's what your thinking. If we are talking internet protocol that is different but for this there are no advantage that I know of. There might be but I haven't found it yet.

West Coast Jones
Members
June 30, 2014 - 5:36 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hi Daniel,

I do not have the system hooked into the internet yet so answer is no for now. I am still waiting on materials to get hooked up to the net.

I was thinking there might have been some differences in the operation using one protocol vs the other, that was why I tried the changes I did.

Not sure if this may have anything to do with it, but, when I switched protocols there were around 15 presets still set, and a pattern set up stored running from 1 to 3 on those presets, but the pattern run was not running, in other words the camera was static.

It was to that static position the camera was always returning to when I would power the camera off/on, until I ran the address 0, when I went to the pan/tilt/zoom control menu it was still not working. When I turned the DVR off/on, still nothing, when I turned the camera off/on it did the standard pan down back to last position prior to power off, BUT this time it was/is completely out of focus, and still no camera control or OSD.

What about the tying preset calls to get it back? Are there numbers I can plug in to maybe turn things back on that may have been shut off?

Techpro Security
Members
June 30, 2014 - 6:10 pm
sp_ReportPost

Please tell me what is your camera set to?. When you power cycle the camera it should show the address protocol and address. Please tell me what they are. Also what channel is this plugged to in the DVR? what are the settings on the PTZ DVR settings ? You cannot do the same preset functions like the 650 TVL manual you found, that might screw something up in the camera.

West Coast Jones
Members
June 30, 2014 - 6:12 pm
sp_ReportPost

OK, so here's a surprise!

As I said in one of the above reply's, the camera was doing a pan/tilt/no focus when I powered it off/on.

Since I could not tell where it was pointing, I was concerned it might be pointed west, and the sun sometime during the day would shine directly into the lens.

So I did a power off /on and when the camera came back online, did a power off when I thought it was pointing directly down as it does in it's start up mode, and pulled the 12v plug to power off hoping it was pointing down, no sun problem.

My wife asked how I knew it was pointing down being so out of focus, and short answer, I wasn't, just an educated guess.

She asked how I was doing the power on/off, so decided to show her rather than try and explain it.

So I powered the camera back on, and surprise, instead of the usual camera start up menu (see photo 1 in in my 6/28/14, 8:47 pm thread above), up pops the OSD menu.

Well Yahoo, was able to set the camera back to default and seems to be going fine again.

Thank God for wives with "show me" questions.

Don't know why, but it worked. That's all I can say about that.

Not brave enough to try it all again to see if it repeats, but maybe Jesus or Daniel might care to give it a try as they might be able to spare a camera in case it was a fluke. But it might be a way to reset a locked up PTZ-LX700L12X camera every time.

Sure save a lot of time and trouble if it is a safe method.

West Coast Jones
Members
June 30, 2014 - 6:33 pm
sp_ReportPost

Hi Jesus,

Didn't see your post above until after I had closed out from my last post above.

The settings you want are shown in the photos I took of my monitor on my 6/28/14, 8:47 pm thread above, with the exception of the DVR menu having address 0 as per your instructions.

The camera is on channel 1.

The preset functions were from one of the forums on your site, one from a post saying "I have had several calls about how to focus my PTZ-LX700L12X camera.", and another post saying "The tour set up applies to PTZ-650 and 700LX12 with dip-switches."

I am guessing here, but I suppose "with dip switches" may be the kicker. From what I got in one of Daniel's threads above, I do not think my camera has dip switches?

Manual doesn't say anything one way or the other.

Techpro Security
Members
June 30, 2014 - 7:46 pm
sp_ReportPost

No, our PTZs - LX series do not have dip switches. 

shockwave199
Members
Forum Posts: 179
July 2, 2014 - 2:18 am
sp_ReportPost

Now that you have it back, just use the camera. Don't trouble shoot, don't try anything else. You have control again, so just use the camera and enjoy. 

Guests
July 2, 2014 - 9:56 am
sp_ReportPost

Those camera used to have DIP switches not any more. Bummer. 

West Coast Jones
Members
October 1, 2014 - 8:42 pm
sp_ReportPost

Just thought I would post an up-date in case anyone cares.

Been over 3 months since I got control of the camera back using the method I used (see post #13), and been running same as it did prior to the problem.

Camera still shakes sometimes when we are doing a pan with it, but it was doing that before we lost control of it.

Not being afraid to try tweaking the unit using the OSD menu, we have got it to do a decent job of monitoring our place both day and night.

Have added a pair of 20 watt (= 90 watt incandescent)  LED floodlights dusk to dawn pointing in the direction most likely to have our security breaches, adjusted the menu brightness up a bit for night hours, and we are monitoring out to 150 feet or so to tell something is going on, and at 100 feet or so can make out details fairly well. Such as identifying who a person is.

Day monitoring is great, identifying who a person out to a good 250 to 300 feet with zoom. Might be able to see even further, but we live in the rain forest, and 300 feet is where the tree line is furthest from our house, then it is the deep dark forest and you would be hard pressed to see a person 25 feet away from you with your own eyes in the day.

Not bad for a camera in this price range at all in our opinion, be hard pressed to find one better to get into the PTZ learning curve.

We are looking forward to watching the elk herd out in the yard on camera, should be showing up most anyday now.

Good show SKC!

Gilberto
Members
Forum Posts: 150
October 2, 2014 - 9:13 am
sp_ReportPost

Good morning West Coast Jones of course we care : ) thank you for the update, I personally love those PTZ and if possible can you post a shot of some Elk for us we don't see many of those around here have a great weekend and again thanks for participating in our forum.

West Coast Jones
Members
June 13, 2015 - 11:29 pm
sp_ReportPost

Using the "Player" that came with the unit I got from SCK to play video dav file the unit records, I tried to send a AVI video converted from the DAV file, but got message that the mime of file type not supported or something like that when I previewed the upload. Then tried converting a default bmp snapshot that the "Player" makes from a dav file, to be jpg, but got an "Error 109 - Actual mime type doesnt match the file type". Running the converted AVI file and saving image copy then uploading that I was able to send these. Don't know how to get the video to you, can't seem to upload it.

So here they are grazing in the yard, those spikes will grow to nice antlers in months. They shed their antlers every year and regrow them for those that didn't know that.

Sorry it took so long to get them sent, kind of space out a guess.

Elk.avi_snapshot_00.03_2015.06.13_20.15.07.jpgImage Enlarger

Elk.avi_snapshot_00.24_2015.06.13_20.17.01.jpgImage Enlarger
Elk.avi_snapshot_00.40_2015.06.13_20.18.14.jpgImage Enlarger
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 727
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 24
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Techpro Security: 404
shockwave199: 179
tubac: 167
Jer7of9: 155
Gilberto: 150
MrDeepFreeze: 136
Night Hawk: 100
Mark: 89
West Coast Jones: 66
ShawnInFL: 64
Newest Members:
chrisoco
Janelaw
Jampralk
CheRam
will
Toadaly
wella
FredMok
Shantibc97
RozCasty
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 28
Topics: 1496

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 141
Members: 22945
Moderators: 7
Admins: 5
Administrators: Damon Delcoro, Brad Besner, Jose Malave, Damon Delcoro, Tony Petruzzi
Moderators: Zeke Richey, Eric Wilson, Yarden Pinhasi, Joe Shopsin, jwilhelmi, Jorge Nava, Tyler Rittel