Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
PWR-8 only 250ma each channel?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
bahamascctv
Members
Forum Posts: 25
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 13, 2016 - 12:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

On the board it says 250ma output per channel. But the specs say its a 4A power supply. Having used Altronix in the past that usually meant you had 4A divided by the number of channels, and no more than the fuse rating per channel. On the white label on this box it says the PT fuse is rated 650ma. Yet it only allows 250ma per channel? If its a 4A at the least it should be 500ma or in this case based on the PT fuse, 650ma per channel but no more than a total of 4A. I know these are not isolated outputs - especially based on the rolling bar in the AF domes using the 16-ch UL listed power supply.

Whats the deal with these power supplies, the 4 and 8 channel in particular?
Also, that isnt enough to power the Auto Focus domes which draw approx 800ma (9.6watts) according to the specs?

It looks like Im going to have to buy a bunch of extra power supplies just to power the AF domes, and if this 250ma per channel is correct, I wouldnt be able to power ANY of the cameras we bought from you guys. Before I burn up the cameras using an underrated PSU, please verify the output for each channel of the 4 and 8 channel power supplies you sell, and also please let us know which power supplies work with the AF domes (for the future, for now I will have to buy 5A power supplies locally for $100 each and just splice all the cameras power into them).

Thanks

bahamascctv
Members
March 13, 2016 - 1:27 am
sp_ReportPost

Here are images showing the power supply ratings.
Also the PSU says it is a 9-channel, but it only has 8 +/- terminals.

WP_20160313_006.pngImage Enlarger

WP_20160313_005.pngImage Enlarger
bahamascctv
Members
March 13, 2016 - 11:12 pm
sp_ReportPost
Now I am confused.
First, I tested the amp usage for both the mini dome and the Auto Focus dome.
The mini dome was 160-190ma (specs say 208ma) and the AF dome was 160-260ma - 260ma when the motorized lens was in use.
This is a big difference from the specs of approx 800ma.

Also I hooked the mini dome and the AF dome on the 8-channel PSU, the one that claims 250ma per channel, or 650ma PT fuse.
Both work fine on this power supply, the AF dome has no lines when zooming, except I saw 1 very small line maybe once.
Not sure if it's safe to actually leave them on this PSU though, given that 250ma output writing on it.

On another brand 16-ch PSU there are lines when zooming in and out with the AF dome.
I also saw that before at another place.
The only other thing I can think of they all have in common - UPS.
I do not have a UPS here, so I will do some more testing at a location with a UPS.

I wish you guys could test this on your end, would save me time 😉

Somewhat related, using the Manual focus 2.8-12mm eyeball dome, one had interference in IR (same room as the DVR, no power near it or the wire).
So I changed the wire and connectors, still had it.
I changed the power supply for a plug in adapter, fixed the problem.
There are a few of that type on the same PSU, no issues with them.
I wonder if I can simply have a bad PSU, I may try a different PT output and see if that fixes it.

Guests
March 14, 2016 - 1:23 pm
sp_ReportPost

The max amp per a channel is .65 amps with a total of 4 amps.  

bahamascctv
Members
March 14, 2016 - 9:53 pm
sp_ReportPost

Okay thanks, so ignore the writing on the power supply board that says 250ma output per channel? I just want to verify that, also if these will power the AF domes safely. It seemed to power it just fine, but I would like to verify that from you guys to be safe. Thanks.

Guests
March 15, 2016 - 1:19 pm
sp_ReportPost

I would say what is printed on the board is inaccurate unless you wanted to use all 8 channels then you would have to have cameras that required less amps. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 727
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Techpro Security: 404
shockwave199: 179
tubac: 167
Jer7of9: 155
Gilberto: 150
MrDeepFreeze: 136
Night Hawk: 100
Mark: 89
West Coast Jones: 66
ShawnInFL: 64
Newest Members:
Janelaw
Jampralk
CheRam
will
Toadaly
wella
FredMok
Shantibc97
RozCasty
MQ_FUN
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 28
Topics: 1496

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 141
Members: 22944
Moderators: 7
Admins: 5
Administrators: Damon Delcoro, Brad Besner, Jose Malave, Damon Delcoro, Tony Petruzzi
Moderators: Zeke Richey, Eric Wilson, Yarden Pinhasi, Joe Shopsin, jwilhelmi, Jorge Nava, Tyler Rittel